Saturday, August 27, 2011

London City - Windsor Stars (29-07-2011)



After a great concert by Danish metal outfit Volbeat in Fort Wayne, Indiana, I started my Canadian groundhop full of optimism. Five games in three days: the good old European days were back! I arrived in London, Ontario around 3 PM, having to kill several hours of this very warm and sunny day before kick-off. When time had finally come, I made my way to Cove Stadium, which turned out to be located behind the building of the Deutsch-Kanadischer Verein (German-Canadian Association); another indication of the ethnic character of Canadian soccer. As I got out of my car, I saw some people getting back into their car. And then I see this sign!Link


After days of sunny 90F/32C weather, and still sweating in the early evening, this game in the middle of one of the warmest summers in Canada was... "cancelled due to wet field conditions"!!! I could not believe it! As I heard the next day, this pitch is very close to a swamp and floods very easily. Maybe a move might be a good idea?

No comments: